Translate

Monday, March 3, 2014

Paul

Survival

One gets past quotes that are meant to encourage one to ... Perhaps one falls too low to reach.  I don't know which it is.  Rumi, however, does seem to be the kind of soul I would have enjoyed chatting to.

I've been looking at the life of Jesus lately. Being in "die genade jare" and all.  Have no idea how we got here from Rumi, but no matter.  I have new information compliments of teachers who saw something others seem to have missed.  I know.  I know.  Bear with me.

John MacArthur started me on this journey.

I never realised the import of the time, of Jesus' Jewishness and the impact of his family and his community.  Yes, he had brothers. Yes, he had a father and a mother.  But once you start looking at it you see that his brothers weren't falling over themselves with support. You read precious little to nothing about his father, a only a smidgen more about his mother.

Then there are those years of nothing at all.

Then, along comes Paul.  Now Paul was never my favourite.  Bar the sentences that "spoke to me" along the way, duly underlined in my Life Application Bible, I skipped him.  I did not know why.  He's different ... I thought.  Somehow other.

I did like James though.  I didn't get that Paul was all about Grace and James was more Law. Well, I got it, but not in the sense of really knowing.  Of course I would like James more.  I like instructions and I like rules and I like working hard.

This of course gives me a new desire to read everything Paul wrote.

Moving on

I was lucky when I went back to Jesus.  It was a glorious time of revival and I learned so much so quickly.  The Word became flesh to me.  There were periods where I was gobsmacked and not speaking.  When you can't lash out at the humans you lash out at the supreme being.  I just hope I missed.

I gave most of the Christian books away to customers in the last days of my bookshop because I didn't want them gathering dust.  I did shove books into hands and insist they be taken home. 

I kept one.

"Paul: The Apostle of Grace" by Warren Litzman

Why this one? No idea.  I just felt I had to pick it. Of all the books I took for myself that day when the self picking had to be done, this was the oddest choice.  But, there it is.  Not only do I have many books, but I chose to read this one first.

I don't know anything about the writer.  It is, however, a good pick.  The history of Paul and Jesus and how the time influenced Paul's writings.

Anyway, it's given me a whole new perspective.  If you are inclined, I recommend this read.


On the Global Front

I have no idea why they bothered to have a dedicated channel for the trial everyone is talking about - or forced to be talking about because you can't avoid it. Every news channel I switched to had the sound track of ... and picture of .. and really!  Really?

My prayers lie with those facing the unknown which has taken on a whole new face - it's masked. Can't escape the importance of this moment in history.  You so get this is different. 

May G-d forgive us and grant us mercy and peace in our days.


Just a thought

I rather liked Mathew's Oscar acceptance speech.  Not only because he thanked G-d, in a meaningful way, his parents and his family, but he gave us all a gift.

He said we have to have something to chase.
He chases his future self, the hero he wants to be.

A Capricorn who can't help look ahead, more than at the now, can only find this appealing.

May we all become the great heroes we want to be.  I do believe we do. 

Love and Light



No comments: